Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Adventures of EllaineAppleR


Welcome to EllaineAppleR's blogspot!

ESL
English is my second language for I was born in Manila, Philippines and spent the first primary years of my life speaking tagalog. Like my father, he was the youngest in the family and known to be an adventurer. He graduated as an architect and owned different kinds of business' like fish farms, trucking services, etc. while serving the people as a politician. I'd like to think that I got my caring and very loving qualities from my mom who was a registered nurse. Shortly after bringing me into this world, she decided to venture into different business' like import/export of garments and ownership of different kinds of eatery, etc. I have to give credit to both of my parents for providing such great exposure for me and not limiting what I can and can't do.


Jack of all trades (master of none)
Like most asian kids, I was enrolled to learn piano, flute, ballet, gymnastics and sports like volleyball etc. By middle school, I thought it would be perfect that I tryout to be a cheerleader, while learning how to play the guitar with my long acyrlic nails painted in metallic blue that I used as a pick. Trained to rise before the sun shines in the horizon, it has influenced me to keep wandering and wondering, what and where else can I go and do in this lifetime.

Around The World
If you think that having two brothers and a sister is a little crowded, think again. Both of my parents came from a HUGE family. My mom had 12 other brothers & sisters while my dad had 7 other siblings. I don't even know how many cousins or nephews and nieces I have at this time. Everyone seems to be spread out occupying different continents of the World. My goal is to visit a different city or country every year. *crossing my fingers and toes*.
I can't wait to blog about my previous and upcoming trips, a good reason to subscribe to my blog.

East vs West
In the beginning of the 90's era (when I secretly started watching MTV videos), my parents were given an opportunity to try a different lifestyle other than what they have been accustomed to all their life. From having over 10 maids plus chauffeurs at any given time to having no helper, was very hard to fathom and adapt to for my parents. They had a bit of a culture shock as soon as we took our first step at SFO airport. But San Francisco has always been mellow and diverse so we fitted right in. No adjusting period necessary.

The Only Filipina Girl
Two years after living in San Francisco, my parents concluded that having a 9 to 5 shift wasn't for them anymore. But they wanted us to try the life in the East Coast with my father's side of the family. Boy, did I have an exciting life in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As far as I can remember, I was the ONLY filipina girl out of the whole middle school back then. Although I didn't have any problem making friends with everybody especially being a cheerleader and all, it did feel a little strange not being able to relate to my blue-eyed or brown-eyed friends. Though attending bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs was intriguing, I particularly enjoyed the lavish parties thrown after the ceremony. And with my African American friends, we always had a blast at the roller skating rink especially in the winter. Come spring and summer time, Dorney Park was the place to be, to get a tan and have some fun in the sun.

Bizarre Foods
For me, it was always weird to invite my closest friends to one of our gatherings like filipino house parties where endless lumpias (egg rolls) were served with matching pansit noodles (chow mein) among other ethnic food. Of course, a good hostess always offered a bowl of bloody dinuguan aka chocolate meat. Too bad no one ever fell for it or even had the guts to try out the guts. :P


One In A Million
Although I didn't feel discriminated since I'd like to think I was friendly, cute-enough, stylish-enough, easy-to-get-along-with, I felt that my school was still very much separated at that time. Everyone knew everyone but that was as far as it went. Either I attended an all white party, an all black party or an all filipino party. Being the only exotic filipina girl in middle school, I had the most memorable time. I'm truly glad that I got a chance to experience this because it gave me a totally different perspective about life at such an early age.

We all must learn to adapt to change and accept each others differences while holding on to our own culture and keeping our heritage alive within, for diversification is simply inevitable! -EllaineAppleR

Put yourself in my shoes. How do you think you'd feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment